Links to objectives:
Key tips from Study it
- Revise basic algebra skills used in Level 1 and L1 equations.
- Learn to solve equations by setting out logical steps rather than using guess and check.
- Be careful to copy terms correctly from step to step.
- Practise basic algebra skills thoroughly.
- Show all working as credit can sometimes be given when the error is minor or a term has been incorrectly transferred.
- Answer all questions as answers can be used as evidence for awarding Achievement.
- Practise choosing variables and writing equations to solve word problems.
- Be certain that you can use and apply the quadratic formula correctly.
- When solving a quadratic equation to answer a question in context, check that you have selected or used the correct solution. Both answers may not be relevant in the context given.
- The Achievement with Excellence question could be set in a mathematical context.
- You should know how to model a situation using an equation.
- Any equations you form must be stated in solving a problem.
ALGEBRA OBJECTIVES (with links):
Check List for Achieved, merit and excellence
NCEA achieved questions from old ncea papers (with answers)
Other handy websites
Nayland College Maths - Great notes and other stuff
Merit questions from NCEA (2004-2010):
Worked questions from past exams:
Q1e 2013 Algebra
Q3a ii 2013 Algebra